Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Sewing Pattern Suggestions...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Skittl1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2005
    Posts
    1,310
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am looking for recommendations for beginning sewing patterns for my AGs. However, I would really like patterns that look appropriate on the historical dolls, not modern patterns.

    I am an experienced quilter and have done some clothing (a shift dress and a t-shirt with a pattern and a historically accurate 14th century cotehardie that was done without a pattern -created by fitting it on me and basting linen then using the linen as a pattern.) As such, I am confident about my ability to sew, but not at all confident about following a pattern or doing things like putting in elastic or zippers.

    Do you have any suggestions?
    I am really looking for simple dresses for any of the dolls and a cape pattern for Felicity. More elaborate patterns can be suggested, but I'm scared...

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Sakurako's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wouldn't bother with zippers. No one but Kit and Molly would have had them anyway, if you're being strictly accurate. Snaps are my favorite fastener, since they don't wreck the doll's hair like velcro does.

    Most of the major pattern companies have historical looking patterns for AGs. For some reason, I've found that Simplicity patterns for AGs are the most fun to work with and come out great, so I would start with their pattern book.
    McCall's has a nice assortment of patterns but they bore me a bit. Vogue patterns are expensive and can be tricky. It just took me two full weekends to make/take apart/redesign what looked like a fairly simple flamenco dress from Vogue. I really don't like what Butterick does for AGs but that's just personal opinion.

    An unlined cape with a hood shouldn't be too difficult to make but lining one edge to edge requires patience and basting by hand along the neck edge. Do you want me to look through my pattern stash for a cape pattern that I could recommend?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Skittl1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2005
    Posts
    1,310
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Sakurako:
    Do you want me to look through my pattern stash for a cape pattern that I could recommend?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you wouldn't mind, I'd love that.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member TaffyCheerful's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2002
    Posts
    544
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    One of the best solutions to closure I have seen on doll clothes is a worked buttonhole with a button permanently fastened to the buttonhole and a snap underneath. It is easy for small fingers to open and close, but looks like a regular button closure. I call it a faux buttonhole closure, but there probably is a real name I just don't know.

    Taffy

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Sakurako's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Of all the patterns on the Simplicity link, my favorite is #7688. That has some neat things to make in it. Not historical, though.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member josephhswife's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    187
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the Vogue doll collection probably has the most historical items. they are also the most expensive. If you're looking for Kit, it's the best place to go. Joann's has McCall's and Vogue patterns on sale Sat-Monday for the labor day weekend, so that may help.

    If you're a quilter, then you're probably comfortable with 1/4" seams which is what most doll patterns use. I'd also recommend a pattern with full sleeves. Fitting in sleeves for doll clothes is a tedious job. Not impossible but sometimes it seems so.

    Good luck.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Skittl1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2005
    Posts
    1,310
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you for all the suggestions.

    I looked at the patterns and decided on getting McCalls m3275 and m3627.

    After some price shopping I found the best prices as ebay BINs and went ahead and ordered them.

    Thanks for the tip about the Joann's sale, but we are going camping and I think my husband planned it to keep me away from the sale [img]smile.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •